Coronavirus fears for Queen as Buckingham Palace worker tests positive for infection
It is unknown whether the employee came into contact with the Queen at all whilst carrying the virus. However according to The Sun the diagnosis took place before the Queen left Buckingham Palace for Windsor earlier this week.
Speaking to the paper a source said: “The Palace has 500 members of staff so, like any workplace, it’s not inconceivable it would be affected in some stage.”
Coronavirus is known to be significantly more lethal amongst patients who are elderly or have pre-existing health conditions.
The number of UK coronavirus deaths surged to 233 on Saturday, with over 5,000 recorded cases.
On Saturday night Boris Johnson warned the NHS faces being “overwhelmed” unless people begin social distancing urgently.
He urged Britons not to visit their mothers on Mother’s Day, as this could spread the virus further.
When approached by The Sun Buckingham Palace declined to comment in detail on the coronavirus claim.
A spokesman said: “We wouldn’t comment on individual members of staff.
“In line with the appropriate guidance and our own processes, we have taken the necessary actions to protect all employees and people involved.”
READ MORE: Melania Trump latest – FLOTUS tweets out links to help children
There is speculation the Queen will give an address to the nation at some point during the crisis.
The Queen gave a statement on Thursday but the Mail on Sunday report she will give a full address at the right moment.
Discussions have been held between Number 10 and the Buckingham Palace.
A source explained: “It has been agreed the address will happen at a key moment in the crisis and that it will be a hugely important way to lift the nation’s morale.
“There is no one more experienced than Her Majesty and she will know exactly the right moment to address the country.
“Sadly, there are some very difficult times ahead. The country is going to be hurting. The voice of Her Majesty will provide calm reassurance that, ultimately, we will get through this.”
With the exception of her annual Christmas message, it will be the first time Her Majesty has addressed the nation in this way since the death of her mother Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother in 2002.
William’s younger brother Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex has been forced to cancel the Invictus Games as a result of the outbreak.
The games for injured service personnel were scheduled for The Hague in 2020 but have been postponed for 2021.
Published at Sun, 22 Mar 2020 06:26:00 +0000