Coronavirus has now claimed the lives of 335 people in the UK, a figure that is bound to raise pulses as across Britain. News of the rapid rise comes as the Prime Minister chairs an emergency COBRA meeting to decide how best to tackle the snowballing crisis. While senior government officials thrash out a plan, the general public should not regard themselves as passive observers to the unfolding pandemic.
When to self-isolate – everything you need to know
In addition to staying at home for seven days if you recognise mild symptoms, there are a number of important protective measures to follow.
If you live with someone who has symptoms, you’ll need to stay at home for 14 days from the day the first person in the home started having symptoms, advises the NHS.
Furthermore, if you live with someone who is 70 or over, has a long-term condition, is pregnant or has a weakened immune system, try to find somewhere else for them to stay for 14 days.
“If you have to stay at home together, try to keep away from each other as much as possible,” advises the health site.
You should also avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean, warns the NHS.
What to do if you fall into a high-risk category
If you’re at high risk of getting seriously ill from coronavirus, there are extra things you should do to avoid catching it.
According to the NHS, these include:
- Not leaving your home – you should not go out to do shopping, visit friends or family, or attend any gatherings
- Avoiding close contact with other people in your home as much as possible
Am I at risk?
You may be at high risk from coronavirus if you:
- Have had an organ transplant
- Are having certain types of cancer treatment
- Have blood or bone marrow cancer, such as leukaemia
- Have a severe lung condition, such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma
- Have a condition that makes you much more likely to get infections
- Are taking medicine that weakens your immune system
- Are pregnant and have a serious heart condition
Published at Mon, 23 Mar 2020 17:04:00 +0000