More than 4,000 people have been infected by coronavirus in the UK, leading to the deaths of more than 175 people. With the deadly virus, which originated in China, already putting pressure on the NHS, the health service has now signed a huge deal with private hospitals. The deal will see private hospitals provide the health service across England with 20,000 staff, 8,000 beds, 1,200 ventilators, and 700 doctors to deal with the COVID-19 crisis.
In London the deal includes more than 2,000 hospital beds and over 250 operating theatres and critical beds.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock said: “Under the agreement, the independent sector will reallocate practically its entire national hospital capacity en bloc to the NHS.
“It will be reimbursed, at cost – meaning no profit will be made for doing so.”
NHS chief executive Sir Simon Stevens said they were dealing with an “unprecedented global health threat.”
He said: “The NHS is doing everything in its power to expand treatment capacity, and is working with partners right across the country to do so.
“But it is absolutely vital that this is matched by successful and comprehensive adoption of the public measures needed to cut the spread of the virus.
“We all have to play our part to help offset the enormous pressure that our nurses, doctors and other specialists will otherwise face.”
The NHS is facing huge pressure already due to the impact of the deadly coronavirus.
David Hare, Chief Executive of the Independent Healthcare Providers Network said: “Independent hospitals are boosting emergency capacity to put at the disposal of the NHS over these coming weeks.
“We have worked hand-in-hand with the NHS for decades and will do whatever it takes to support the NHS in responding to this pandemic.”
Heartbreaking reports have emerged from Italy of the country’s healthcare system becoming overwhelmed due to the deadly virus.
Thousands of people have died in Italy, which has the biggest death toll around the globe, overtaking China last week.
And, it’s healthcare system was unable to cope with the influx of thousands of coronavirus cases – which has left doctors facing tough choices at times on which patients would be given critical care.
On Saturday, Italy reported another 546 deaths from Coronavirus in the region of Lombardy, the highest count in a region in single day.
More than 4,000 people have been killed by coronavirus in Italy – with over 47,000 cases.
Last week the country passed China’s death toll from coronavirus, over 3,200 deaths.
But, China has recorded far more cases of the deadly virus, over 81,000 compared to Italy confirming more than 47,000 cases.
This is a breaking story…more to follow
Published at Sat, 21 Mar 2020 16:24:00 +0000