Coronavirus cases have rapidly risen and fallen throughout the pandemic. While case rates have fallen in 315 places around the UK, 61 local authorities have seen a rise.
Wales, in particular, has noted an increase in confirmed infections over the past seven days as of September 15.
According to the latest data from Gov.uk, 16 of the 61 regions where cases are on the up are in Wales.
The other local authorities are dotted throughout England and Wales, while Northern Ireland has not reported any new increases.
In Wales, the highest case rates have been recorded in Neath Port Talbot.
As a result, this takes the case rate up to 791.1 per 100,000 people.
Fatalities as a result of COVID-19 in Wales have also hit a six-month high, with the Office for National Statistics (ONS) reporting 65 deaths in the last week.
Despite this, Scotland remains the region in the UK with the highest infection rate overall.
The area with the second-highest rate of infection in the UK is West Dunbartonshire, Scotland.
However, this is actually a decrease from 1,172.7 to 806.0 per 100,000 people.
The area has reported 712 new cases.
In England, the Midlands is seeing some of the highest rates of infection.
Corby in Northamptonshire is currently recording the highest rate of infection, with the latest figures showing 639.3 cases per 100,000 people.
North West Leicestershire and Hinckley and Bosworth are also seeing highs compared with the surrounding region, recording 541.9 and 521.7 cases per 100,000 respectively.
Allerdale, in the North West of England, is also recording a high compared with the rest of the country.
The latest statistics show 541.8 cases of Covid per 100,000 of the population as of September 17.
Top 20 places in the UK with the highest rate of infection (per 100,000) as of September 17
- Neath Port Talbot, Wales 829
- West Dunbartonshire, Scotland 828.6
- Merthyr Tydfil, Wales 726.5
- North Lanarkshire, Scotland 704.4
- East Renfrewshire, Scotland. 689.2
- Renfrewshire, Scotland 688.4
- Caerphilly, Wales 680.1
- South Ayrshire, Scotland 675
- Swansea, Wales 672
- North Ayrshire, Scotland 665.9
- Rhondda Cynon Taf, Wales 657.8
- Inverclyde, Scotland 652.7
- Corby, England 637.9
- Blaenau Gwent, Wales 637
- West Lothian, Scotland 631.1
- Carmarthenshire, Wales 621.3
- East Dunbartonshire, Scotland 617.9
- East Ayrshire, Scotland 607.7
- Midlothian, Scotland 606.5
- Dundee City, Scotland 600.1
Published at Wed, 22 Sep 2021 15:57:00 +0000