Dozens evacuated after horror building collapse near Liverpool school

Dozens evacuated after horror building collapse near Liverpool school

Emergency services were called to Anfield Road, in Liverpool. Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service’s (MFRS) control centre confirmed they were in attendance at the incident. The fire service confirmed that four properties were affected.

In a statement, a spokesperson said: “Firefighters were in the area doing some fire protection duties and were made aware of a partial building collapse.

“Two fire engines and the search and rescue team are in attendance.

“Crews became aware at 7.31pm this evening of what appears to be a gable end collapse around 2 metres by 2 metres that has given way onto the pavement below.

“There are no reports of any injuries. 4 premises are affected and a cordon is in place- police are on scene.

“All adjoining properties have been evacuated.

“The Fire Service is still on scene awaiting a structural engineer after which time the scene is likely to be handed over to police.”

People in the area said they heard a “huge bang” as the roof of a house collapsed, the Liverpool Echo reported.

Images shared across social media shows multiple bricks lying on the street, which has been cordoned off.

Merseyside Police issued a statement and confirmed part of a building had collapsed.

Their statement said: “Officers were called at around 7.30pm to a report that the gable end of a terraced house on Anfield Road had collapsed.

“No one was in the property at the time and there are no reports of anyone being injured.

“Fire crews from Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service are also at the scene and an investigation into the collapse is ongoing.”

One neighbour told the Liverpool Echo they thought a “wardrobe had collapsed” after they heard a big bang.

Back in 2019, shocked neighbours were awoken in the middle of the night when part of a house collapsed on their street.

Emergency services were called to Woodcroft Road in Wavertree, Liverpool after residents were woken by the loud noise.

One resident said at first she thought the noise was “thunder” while another said they thought a car had crashed in the street.

Mersey Fire and Rescue Service were called to the scene and confirmed they cordoned off the area after a chimney stack collapsed.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “We were called to a two storey, mid terrace house which was unoccupied and under refurbishment.

“We cordoned off the area and stood by to wait for a structural engineer to arrive.

“We advised residents to stay out of the rear yard and Liverpool City Council were informed.”

More to follow…

Published at Tue, 07 Sep 2021 21:26:00 +0000