DVLA says motorists can get a refund on their car tax with this simple tip

DVLA says motorists can get a refund on their car tax with this simple tip

DVLA chiefs say vehicles can be declared off the road for those who do not wish to pay for car tax bills during the pandemic. Vehicles can be taken off the road by obtaining a statutory off road notification (SORN) which will see any remaining months of tax refunded.

However, motorists must declare their vehicles as off the road if they are not planning on using them instead of just cancelling their car tax agreements. 

Speaking to Express.co.uk, a DVLA spokesperson said: “You can tax a vehicle online as normal at www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax , or call 0300 1234 321 or at the Post Office.  

“Vehicles can also be registered as off the road (SORN) as normal.  When you register a vehicle as SORN, you will get a refund for any full months of remaining tax.”

Motorists can also save money during the coronavirus pandemic by cancelling their car insurance agreements. 

READ MORE: Motorists could pay over £1,000 for cars due to this tax change

“Taking your car off the road can be a confusing process, as it’s not as simple as just parking up.

“If you cancel your policy, you need to apply for a SORN which will register your vehicle as off the road. Otherwise, you could risk being fined.”

Admiral insurance says simply declaring a vehicle as off the road could save motorists hundreds of pounds. 

As well as being offered a refund, motorists will also be exempt from paying any road tax charges and will not need a valid MOT test. 

However, vehicles with a SORN in place will have restrictions and motorists are only allowed to use the car for certain reasons. 

Cars with a SORN are only allowed to drive to and from a pre-booked MOT test or other car service appointment. 

Driving the vehicle for any other reason could result in a court appearance and a £2,500 fine, acquiring to GOV.UK. 

According to Compare the Market, motorists can also apply for a car tax refund for various different reasons. 

Car tax refunds can be secured if you are selling or transferring your car or you have decided to scrap your vehicle. 

You can also secure a refund if your car has been fitted with some modifications. 

This is likely to change your tax band which could vary the overall costs. However, road users will still need to obtain a refund for their existing agreement. 

Published at Fri, 03 Apr 2020 04:01:00 +0000