Back in 1994, Sir Elton John performed several tracks in The Lion King, including hits like Can You Feel the Love Tonight and Circle of Life. And with the remake out this year, the singer returned to rework some of his musical compositions from the original. The 72-year-old was even assisted by Beyonce for some of them. However, having seen The Lion King remake, Elton did not hold back on his criticism of the movie.
Speaking with GQ, Elton said: “The new version of The Lion King was a huge disappointment to me, because I believe they messed the music up.
“Music was so much a part of the original and the music in the current film didn’t have the same impact.
“The magic and joy were lost.
“The soundtrack hasn’t had nearly the same impact in the charts that it had 25 years ago, when it was the bestselling album of the year.
“The new soundtrack fell out of the charts so quickly, despite the massive box-office success.
“I wish I’d been invited to the party more, but the creative vision for the film and its music was different this time around and I wasn’t really welcomed or treated with the same level of respect.”
1. Circle of Life (32 per cent)
2. Can You Feel The Love Tonight (22 per cent)
3. Hakuna Matata (22 per cent)
4. I Just Can’t Wait to Be King (nine per cent)
5. King of Pride Rock (four per cent)
6. Under the Stars (four per cent)
7. This Land (three per cent)
8. Be Prepared (three per cent)
9. …To Die For (one per cent)
Published at Wed, 16 Oct 2019 10:15:00 +0000