Manchester United icon Gary Neville has cast doubts over Zinedine Zidane taking over as Red Devils boss. Zidane has been strongly linked with the top job at Old Trafford as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer comes under increasing pressure after his side’s poor run of form.
During the international break, club chiefs apparently rang Zidane to enquire about his availability as they look for options to potentially replace their current manager.
Zidane has been out of work since leaving Real Madrid in the summer after admitting he felt the Spanish giants ‘no longer had faith’ in him.
But, despite the Frenchman’s links to Man Utd, Neville believes any talk of Zidane taking over from Solskjaer is mere speculation.
“Will Zidane come? Not sure,” Neville said during an Instagram Live on Sunday.
“We’re just speculating now, throwing names in the air.
“The person who would sponsor him and who has recommended him to the board is Cristiano Ronaldo.”
If the phone call did indeed take place, it would indicate that United are considering pulling the plug on Solskjaer’s tenure at the club.
Solskjaer’s side have failed to win in five of their last seven matches amid a horrendous turn of fortunes.
Man Utd won four of their first five Premier League games this season but have stuttered after suffering Champions League defeat to Young Boys last month.
The team have since exited the Carabao Cup at the hands of West Ham and have also suffered top-flight defeats to Aston Villa and Leicester City.
“I’m going, but I’m not jumping overboard, nor am I tired of coaching,” Zidane said after calling time on his second spell in charge of Los Blancos.
“I’m leaving because I feel the club no longer has the faith in me I need, nor the support to build something in the medium or long term.
“I understand football and I know the demands of a club like Real Madrid. I know when you don’t win, you have to leave.”
Published at Wed, 20 Oct 2021 04:10:00 +0000