Thanks to the coronavirus lockdown, rules have been changed which mean its easier for grandparents to get state pension credit. The sum is to the tune of £250 a year – which could be a huge help to many.
You much apply for state pension credits before you start receiving your state pension.
Those already in receipt of their state pension cannot add national insurance credit, so many will need to act soon to see the benefits.
People can can apply for specified adult childcare credits must:
– be a grandparent or other family member looking after a child under 12
– have been over 16 when they cared for the child
– be under state pension age
– live in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
– child’s parent is entitled to child benefit
– child’s parent agrees to your application by countersigning
The issue appears to be particularly acute for older married women who may not realise that they had to put in a claim for a higher pension when their husband turned 65.
According to the research, in some cases, women affected could be owed backdated payments which run into thousands of pounds.
It’s estimated that the total amount owed could reach as much as £100million.
The issue affects a set of women covered by the “old” state pension system – meaning those who reached state pension age before April 6, 2016.
Published at Sat, 23 May 2020 13:02:00 +0000