How actors will adapt to filming under new coronavirus social distancing rules

How actors will adapt to filming under new coronavirus social distancing rules

The draft plan, drawn up by the British Film Commission, was revealed by Deadline last week. Titled the Film and TV Production Codes of Practice, the 30-page plan aims to supply the government with a vision for how on-screen productions can safely return to work.

Deadline reports the document was dated to May 5, and that the protocols laid out in it may well change by the time it has been through a period of industry consultation.

It has reportedly received input from industry giants including Netflix, Disney, and HBO.

Deadline claims some of the proposals put forward in the draft plan include requiring all cast and crew on set to observe two-meter social distancing rules.

Of course, this could provide tricky to enforce in a production where on-screen characters must get up close and personal.

In such a case, the plan reportedly advises that actors should work “back-to-back or shoulder-to-shoulder, rather than face-to-face.”

In addition, it says that time people spend together “should be limited.”

Another suggestion laid out in the alleged report is that actors and crew that come to the UK in order to film productions will have to be quarantined, in keeping with government guidelines.

This statement appears to have pre-empted part of what Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Sunday – namely that people coming into the UK from overseas will have to a 14-day quarantine.

READ MORE: 113-year-old woman who survived Spanish flu also beats coronavirus

Reducing the amount of supporting actors is also said to be mentioned in the proposal, by using CGI to animate crowd scenes, rather than using actors.

Meanwhile, extras in scenes should be on set for as little time as possible and socially distanced.

There are many other proposals regarding off-screen measures, including the cleaning of equipment.

Consultation on the new filming protocols is expected to close this Friday, May 15, according to reports.

Adrian Wootton, Chief Executive of the BFC, said in a statement: “There will need to be modifications to the way film and TV shows are made.

“We are working with Government and industry to develop a set of protocols that address the Government’s five tests, and are ongoing, adjustable, pragmatic and common-sense, with proposals scalable to be relevant to any size of scripted production.

“That will allow the film and TV industry to get back up and shooting as soon and as safely as possible, and playing its part in restoring the health of the UK economy.”

This week, the government suggested that socially-distanced film and TV productions in the UK could continue as Boris Johnson said on Sunday that people who cannot work from home should now be encouraged to return to work.

Published at Wed, 13 May 2020 03:14:00 +0000