The 2021 British Grand Prix at Silverstone will welcome a full crowd OF 140,000 in July, after being included in the latest phase of the UK Government’s Event Research Programme (ERP), the circuit has announced.
There had been some concern the event would be heavily affected by COVID-19 as the UK Government delayed the lifting restrictions in the UK a few weeks ago.
At the time, Silverstone Circuit said they remained ‘confident’ fans will be allowed to attend – with discussions continuing behind closed doors amid the possibility of a capacity crowd for the British Grand Prix.
Under the current rules, events outdoors are limited to 10,000 people or 25 percent of a venue’s capacity, However, now it’s been revealed that the event will go ahead, with a full capacity crowd at the Northampton circuit.
As part of the Government’s plans, the event will work alongside various others like music concerts, Euro 2020 football championship, and Wimbledon, to examine the risk of catching COVID-19 from attending the events.
Silverstone team say they will now work closely with the ERP experts and “particularly the Director of Public Health in Northamptonshire on the specific conditions of entry that will enable the event to operate safely and will be announcing these details to ticket holders in the coming days.”
Silverstone has been selling tickets on the basis of being at capacity and is already almost completely sold out, with fans excited to see Lewis Hamilton in full swing for his home Grand Prix.
Managing Director of Silverstone, Stuart Pringle, commented “This is something we have all been working towards for months and I cannot wait to welcome a full capacity crowd back to Silverstone this July.
“Many of our fans rolled their tickets over from 2020 but they are now well placed to enjoy what is sure to be one of the highlights of the summer.
Max Verstappen lays out Austrian Grand Prix expectations
Hamilton’s Austrian GP claim a worrying sign for Mercedes’ chances
Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton told to expect ‘even tougher time’ in Austria
“My thanks go to the Culture Secretary and his team at the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport for their tireless efforts on behalf of the sports sector, but also the Prime Minister, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster Michael Gove and the teams in No.10 and the Cabinet Office for recognising what an amazing, safe opportunity the British Grand Prix offers to show the world how Britain has dragged itself back on track following the fight against the pandemic.”
F1 President and CEO, Stefano Domenicali added “It is fantastic news that Silverstone will be a full capacity event and it will be an incredible weekend with hundreds of thousands of fans being there to see our first ever Sprint event on the Saturday and the main event on Sunday.
I want to express my huge appreciation to the Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, Secretaries of State, Oliver Dowden and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster Michael Gove and Silverstone’s Managing Director, Stuart Pringle for their tireless work to achieve this great outcome. All of the drivers and the teams are hugely looking forward to Silverstone and we can’t wait to be there in July.”
Hamilton has racked up seven wins around the iconic British circuit, and is used to being cheered on by a sea of Union Jack flags, and has been seen crowd-surfing after the races.
But last year was a very different case as the two races, the British Grand Prix and the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix, were held behind closed doors at the Northampton circuit.
The event takes place over the 16-18 July.
Published at Thu, 24 Jun 2021 11:09:00 +0000