Manchester United face the prospect of a three-way battle for Jadon Sancho if they fail to secure his signature in this transfer window. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has earmarked the England international as his top target but Old Trafford officials are reluctant to meet Borussia Dortmund‘s £100million valuation.
The United top brass are unwilling to spend more than £80m for Sancho, despite Solskjaer being desperate to add him to his squad.
A way to avoid the battle with La Liga’s top two is to bend to Dortmund’s will and stump up the cash now.
LATEST LIVE SPORT TV DEALS
But, according to the Daily Mirror, United are likely to interpret the twist as an attempt by Dortmund to do just that.
While qualification for next season’s Champions League has beefed up the club’s transfer kitty, Woodward previously admitted talk of a mega-money buys were unrealistic considered the financial impact of the coronavirus crisis.
But former Liverpool winger John Barnes believes United only have themselves to blame if they refuse to meet his asking price this summer.
“Jadon Sancho has to play for the team whose paying him,” Barnes told Bonus Code Bets. “If Manchester United wanted him then they should have paid the money; if they don’t pay the money, they can’t get him. So, neither Manchester United nor Jadon Sancho can complain as Manchester United didn’t pay the fee Borussia Dortmund asked for.
“I don’t think one more years’ experience in Germany will hurt him at all, it’ll give him a chance to show that he can perform consistently. If he has another good season then Manchester United will probably pay the money for him next year, as he’s still young enough. If he doesn’t have another good season, would he have had been good enough for Manchester United anyway? So, having another year to play and grow in Germany, with less pressure, is not a bad thing.
“Being upset that he didn’t go to Manchester United and wallowing in a bad attitude would not be the right thing for him to do now. He should knuckle down and prove to the world that he is worth the €120 million.”
Dortmund have doubled down on their position since sporting director Michael Zorc ruled out a summer move for Sancho on Monday.
The club’s CEO, Hans-Joachim Watzke, issued a particularly strong statement on Thursday.
“We are Westphalians,” Watzke told RTL.
“We agreed on this rule, which Zorc explained on Monday. For a Westphalian, definite means definite.
“Jadon will play with us for the 2020-21 season. There is no room for interpretation.”
This article contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission on any sales of products or services we write about. This article was written completely independently, see more details here
Published at Thu, 13 Aug 2020 21:30:00 +0000