Man Utd takeover: Sheikh Jassim and Glazers ‘phone call’ explained as saga goes on
Sheikh Jassim and his Nine Two Foundation are being ‘bullish’ as the Qatari billionaire looks to buy Manchester United, it has been claimed. The mysterious figure has made four bids for the club so far. And his latest was apparently made via phone call to the Glazers directly, instead of through the Raine Group – who have been overseeing the takeover process.
According to journalist Ben Jacobs, speaking to GiveMeSport, the Glazers and Sheikh Jassim had a ‘phone call’ in which the Qatari billionaire made his latest bid for the club.
And it’s also claimed he and his Nine Two Foundation are being ‘bullish’ as they look to acquire the Red Devils following 18 years of Glazers rule.
“I think the thing with Sheikh Jassim that’s key is that, throughout this whole process, the Nine Two Foundation have been using intermediaries and there’s been an element of smoke and mirrors,” he said.
“It’s not just the Glazers that haven’t shown their hand, it’s also to an extent the Nine Two Foundation.
“Now, what we’re seeing is a movement towards clarity.
“From the perspective of the Nine Two Foundation, they continue to – where necessary – be quite bullish.
Man Utd transfers: Ten Hag wants another Pogba and it makes sense
“We’ve seen that, in making the fourth offer, which came after their supposed final offer that they were absolutely fine going to the Glazers direct with, which was a phone call.
“That’s an indication that they’re in this particular process to try and win.
“If that means going up in offer, they’ve shown that they’re prepared to do that.”
Sheikh Jassim isn’t alone in wanting to buy United, however.
Sir Jim Ratcliffe remains a candidate as well and is willing to let brothers Joel and Avram Glazer stay at the club in reduced roles as part of the arrangement.
All six family members are thought to be open to parting ways with United.
But Joel and Avram are the members of the family who are currently the most reluctant to pack their bags and go.
United also have offers on the table for minority investment, which would allow the Glazers to retain power.
However, it perhaps speaks volumes that the family are yet to accept an offer in that regard and it’ll be interesting to see how the situation unfolds.
Interested candidates had been hoping to receive feedback on Friday.
Yet that doesn’t appear likely to happen now, amid suggestions the takeover process could even drag on through the summer.
Want the latest football news? Join our brand new Facebook group by clicking here
That would be a nightmare scenario for Erik ten Hag, who will need clarity in order to acquire his top transfer targets for the summer.
Harry Kane is in his sights, with the Tottenham star widely expected to push for a departure from north London this summer.
Declan Rice is being eyed after yet another impressive season for West Ham.
And United are also tracking Mason Mount amid a growing feeling the England international could leave Chelsea when the transfer window reopens.
Ten Hag, meanwhile, has insisted United are poised to strike as they look to strengthen their squad this summer.
“I came in here and we talked about what can we do in the squad, what can we do in transfers,” he said recently.
“And last year, the club confirmed they can do.
“So, for me, I don’t think anything changed and yeah, in this summer period we can do the same.
“Of course we are also planning for the future, for next season and that’s what we have to do.
“And that is also talking with your scouting department, recruitment responsibilities, and talking with players of course.”
Published at Fri, 26 May 2023 03:30:00 +0000