- Leafs, Canucks next two games postponed.
- NHL shuts down Bruins, Predators through holiday break.
- Hockey Canada amends World Juniors pre-tournament schedule.
- Red Wings add coach Jeff Blashill, 4 others to COVID-19 protocol list.
- Devils’ P.K. Subban placed in COVID-19 protocol.
- COVID-19 forces postponement of Manitoba, Laval AHL games.
- Nets’ superstar duo placed in NBA’s COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
The NHL has postponed two games each for the Vancouver Canucks and Toronto Maple Leafs as COVID-19 case counts continue to rise throughout the league.
A matchup between the Canucks and Leafs scheduled for Saturday, and Sunday games between the Canucks and Arizona Coyotes and the Leafs and Seattle Kraken have been pushed back indefinitely.
Vancouver has six players — Tyler Myers, Tyler Motte, Brad Hunt, Juho Lammikko, Tucker Poolman and Luke Schenn — and assistant coach Jason King in the league’s COVID-19 protocol.
“The Vancouver Canucks have followed, and will continue to follow, all recommended guidelines aimed at protecting the health and safety of their players, staff and communities at large as set by the NHL and local health authorities,” the team said in a statement.
The NHL said in a statement that the decision to postpone games was made by medical groups with the teams, the league and the NHL Players’ Association.
The league said it is in the process of reviewing and revising its regular-season schedule.
Five of the games originally set for Saturday have now been pushed, including Florida at Minnesota, Boston at Montreal, Tampa Bay at Colorado and Columbus at Calgary.
The NHL and NHLPA announced earlier on Saturday enhanced protocols aimed at curbing the spread of the virus amid the emergence of the Omicron variant.
The new measures include daily testing, increased use of masks in team facilities and while travelling, physical distancing and prohibitions on players dining out while on the road.
The league and the players’ union will re-evaluate the enhanced protocols by Jan. 7.
The Calgary Flames — who have 19 players and 13 employees in isolation — saw their season paused earlier this week. The Colorado Avalanche and Florida Panthers followed suit as the virus swept through their teams.
Bruins, Predators shutdown through holiday break
The NHL on Saturday said it would postpone all Boston Bruins and Nashville Predators games at least through Dec. 26.
The league had already shut down the Calgary Flames, Colorado Avalanche and Florida Panthers through at least that date because of the rising number of players testing positive for the virus that causes COVID-19.
The disruptions to the schedule further cloud the NHL’s plans to send the world’s top players to the Feb. 4-20 Beijing Olympics.
The NHL agreed to a break in its schedule to allow players to compete in Beijing with the caveat that it could withdraw on its own if an abundance of COVID-19 disruptions forced games to be rescheduled during the Olympic window.
The NHL has until Jan. 10 to withdraw from the Beijing Olympics without financial penalty.
World Juniors pre-tournament schedule updated
Hockey Canada announced Saturday that teams are now to play a reduced pre-tournament schedule ahead of the world junior men’s hockey championship in Edmonton and Red Deer, Alta.
The pre-tournament schedule was originally set for Dec. 19, but games will not commence until Dec. 23, with an opportunity for games to be played on Dec. 24. The updated pre-tournament schedule has yet to be finalized.
The tournament kicks off Dec. 26 with two games, including Canada opening its tournament against the Czech Republic.
Red Wings coach, 4 others added to COVID protocol list
Detroit placed three players, coach Jeff Blashill and assistant coach Alex Tanguay in protocol ahead of Saturday night’s home game against New Jersey.
Grand Rapids Griffins head coach Ben Simon and assistant coach Todd Krygier have been called up to work the bench tonight alongside Red Wings assistant Doug Houda for Detroit’s home game against the New Jersey Devils.
The Red Wings have the only player in the league, Tyler Bertuzzi, who is not vaccinated.
Devils’ P.K. Subban placed in COVID-19 protocol
New Jersey Devils defenceman P.K. Subban was placed in the NHL’s COVID-19 protocol on Saturday.
Subban is the fifth member of the Devils to enter protocol, joining fellow blue-liners Ryan Graves and Christian Jaros and forwards Nico Hischier and Jesper Boqvist.
Subban, 32, was held out of New Jersey’s 5-3 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday as a precaution.
A former Norris Trophy recipient as the NHL’s top defenseman, Subban has recorded 11 points (two goals, nine assists) in 27 games this season.
Subban has 456 points (112 goals, 344 assists) in 784 career games with the Montreal Canadiens, Nashville Predators and Devils.
COVID-19 surge wreaks havoc with AHL schedule
The Manitoba Moose game Saturday night at Iowa has been rescheduled to Jan. 19 due to league COVID-19 protocols and related travel concerns.
In addition, Manitoba’s games next Tuesday and Wednesday at Texas have been postponed. Make-up dates have yet to be determined.
And the Laval Rocket’s game at Syracuse scheduled for Saturday evening has been postponed.
Nets stars enter NBA’s health and safety protocols
Brooklyn Nets stars Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving have entered into the league’s COVID-19 health and safety protocols, multiple media outlets reported on Saturday.
Durant has been putting together an MVP-calibre season, averaging 29.7 points per game and shooting 52.3 per cent from the field for the Eastern Conference-leading Nets.
Durant scored 34 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in Thursday’s 114-105 win over the Philadelphia 76ers in a game for which the team was without seven players due to the health and safety protocols.
Seven-time All-Star Irving has not suited up for the team yet this season because he refuses to take the COVID-19 vaccine, which is required to enter the Nets’ Barclays Center.
On Friday, the team said it would welcome back Irving for games and practices in which he is eligible.
The NBA, NFL and NHL have all seen games postponed due to the recent COVID-19 outbreak.
The NBA rolled out tighter COVID-19 protocols amid a sudden wave of COVID-19 cases and, according to a memo seen by Reuters on Friday, will increase testing from Dec. 26-Jan.8 and return to mask usage in many situations until agreed otherwise by the league and union representing its players.
Published at Sat, 18 Dec 2021 19:08:23 +0000