During the extraordinary encounter, Meghan said she had struggled with her mental health since joining the Royal Family and claimed before Archie was born there were “concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be”. However, claims that Prince Charles abruptly cut the Sussexes’ off financially has been contested by Palace sources.
During the interview, Harry claimed his father had “cut him off” financially and at one point stopped picking up his calls.
Prince Charles is said to be “upset and cut up” about the highly personal remarks.
Speaking to the Sunday Times an insider close to Charles commented: “It was a surprise to hear he’d been cut off, given the bank statements.
“The prince continued to provide Harry and Meghan with financial support after their move to America, while they found their feet.”
One of Charles’ friends added: “What f*****g hypocrisy.
“When Harry and Meghan left last year, they wanted to become ‘financially independent’.”
Ms Winfrey’s interview with the Sussexes, originally broadcast by CBS, was released in the UK by ITV on Monday.
After two days of deliberating Buckingham Palace released a short statement on behalf of the Queen on Tuesday.
Meghan and Harry caused a global sensation in January 2020 by announcing their intention to step down as senior royal family members.
The couple said they wanted to become “financially independent” and agreed to repay the taxpayers money spent refurbishing Frogmore Cottage, their former home.
After completing their final royal engagement in March the Duke and Duchess moved to California shortly before the state went into coronavirus lockdown.
They currently live in an £11.2 million mansion to the north of Los Angeles.
A recent YouGov poll found the Sussexes’ popularity in Britain has fallen sharply since the interview.
Harry’s ratings have fallen by 15 points versus 13 points for Meghan, who started from a significantly lower baseline.
Published at Sun, 14 Mar 2021 12:10:03 +0000