Robert Lacey, a royal author, has investigated the royal brothers as part of a new book, titled Battle of Brothers: William and Harry. Speaking to ET Online, he described Prince Harry and Meghan Markle as “royal rock stars” who may have “overshadowed” Prince William and Kate Middleton.
The author claimed Ken Wolf, a former bodyguard for the royals, told him: “William was always sort of jealous of the lovable rogue reputation that Harry had and the affection that he generated.”
However, the two brothers are said to have been different growing up.
Mr Lacey added: “I describe how when they were born, it was William who was the rambunctious character and it was Harry who was the good little boy who sucked his thumb.”
The royal expert said this may have changed when William learned of his place in the line of succession, and that he became “much more serious”.
Reports of a ‘rift’ between the two Dukes have been made throughout the year amid the decision by the Sussexes to step down as senior royals.
The two also moved the US, where they currently reside in the state of California.
He also said that as brothers, “you have good days, you have bad days”.
However, he added: “We’re brothers, we’ll always be brothers. We’re certainly on different paths at the moment, but I’ll always be there for him and as I know he’ll always be there for me.
“We don’t see each other as much as we used to because we’re so busy, but I love him dearly.”
Meanwhile, Mr Lacey has described Prince William as being “protective” over Prince Harry, adding: “This is a very appealing side of William.”
In any case, it is thought the coronavirus pandemic may have slowed any repairs to the relationship between the two Dukes.
For example, Harry and Meghan are thought to have planned a return to the UK from the US temporarily in order to be present for the Queen’s birthday during the summer.
However, these plans were ultimately affected by restrictions to control the spread of COVID-19.
Earlier this month, The Sun reported that royal staff had been told to prepare for Sussexes’ royal household, Frogmore Cottage, for a potential visit by the Duke.
Despite the speculation, a “Sussex source” told Harpers Bazaar both the Duke and Duchess could return to the UK before 2021 because of a legal trial involving the Mail on Sunday.
The source said: “It is worth also pointing out that the trial date for the Mail on Sunday is set to start on January 11, 2021 at the High Course, London, which, if nothing changes, will still require two weeks’ self-isolation before it starts.”
Harry and Meghan moved to the Californian region of Santa Barbara earlier in the summer.
Published at Thu, 22 Oct 2020 04:06:00 +0000