Harry has stood down after serving 10 years in the military as part of his and Meghan’s decision to quit as senior. Now US President Donald Trump has refused to foot their US security bill as they make a fresh start in Los Angeles away from their rented home in Canada.
Speaking to The Sun, a source said: “He told people he regretted having to stand down.
“He was being apologetic and did not appear fully at ease.
“He is a genuine guy and you could see he was upset and emotional as this was one of the last times he would be in uniform among his men and women.”
Prince Harry was apologetic about giving up his post as Captain General of The Royal Marines.
During his speech at the festival earlier this month, Harry said: “I am so proud to have served as the Royal Marines Captain and am devastated that I am having to step down.
“I feel I’m letting people down, but I had no choice.”
During his ten years in the Army, he undertook two operational tours of Afghanistan and qualified as an Apache helicopter commander.
However, Prince Harry entered into negotiations with the royal family after announcing his withdrawal as a senior royal in January.
The news comes after US president Donald Trump announced Harry and Meghan “must pay” their way if they’re going to live in the states.
Writing on Twitter yesterday evening, Mr Trump said: “I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom.
“It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada.
“Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection.
“They must pay!” he added.
The couple have previously said they had no plans to ask for publicly funded security in the US.
They have reportedly relocated to Meghan’s home state of California amid the intensifying coronavirus outbreak.
In a statement released through a spokesperson on Sunday, the couple said: “The duke and duchess have no plans to ask the US government for security resources. Privately funded security arrangements have been made.”
Last month, the Canadian government announced that it would stop providing security assistance to the family “in keeping with their change in status”.
Now Mr Trump appears to have followed suit.
The announcement comes as the coronavirus continues to spread across the US, which has more confirmed cases than any other country.
There are currently 135,499 confirmed cases and 2,381 deaths.
Published at Mon, 30 Mar 2020 00:05:00 +0000