Prince Philip health: Duke ‘not going home any time soon’ – Royals ‘united in prayers’

Prince Philip health: Duke ‘not going home any time soon’ – Royals ‘united in prayers’

Prince Philip, 99, was transferred to another London hospital this morning as he continues to be treated for an infection, Buckingham Palace announced today. The news of his extended hospital stay has caused a “significant shift in the mood” at Windsor Castle, where the Queen is currently staying, according to royal insiders.

A royal source said: “The staff and all the Royal Family are united in their prayers for the Duke.

“There has been an almighty and collective effort to keep him and the Queen safe during the coronavirus crisis over the past 11 months but there was a significant shift in the mood when everyone started finding out the Duke wasn’t coming home any time soon.

“Everyone’s thoughts are now firmly centred on him pulling through this illness.”

Earlier on Monday, it was announced the Duke of Edinburgh had been moved to a second hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection.

Philip is now being treated at St Bartholomew’s Hospital, located near St Paul’s Cathedral in London.

The hospital is “one of the country’s leading specialist cardiac centres, offering state-of-the-art treatments for the full range of heart conditions”, according to its website.

He is believed to have been taken by ambulance at about 11am today. 

Staff were pictured holding up umbrellas to ensure the Duke’s privacy as he was carried by stretcher to the waiting vehicle.

Buckingham Palace said in a statement: “The Duke of Edinburgh was today transferred from King Edward VII’s Hospital to St Bartholomew’s Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition.”

But the Palace has not detailed what kind of infection the Duke is suffering from.

The palace statement added: “The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week.”

The Queen’s husband was first admitted to King Edward VII Hospital on February 16, as revealed by Buckingham Palace on February 17.

At the time, his representative said the Duke had been admitted for “observation and rest” after saying he was “feeling unwell”.

Royal sources said it was not an “emergency admission” and Philip walked into the hospital unaided. They also said it was not covid-related.

MORE TO FOLLOW…

Published at Mon, 01 Mar 2021 21:47:00 +0000