Queen health: Royal officials scrap televised address after fears over monarch’s health
Buckingham Palace scrapped the idea of a national televised address from the Queen on the fight against coronavirus, according to leading royal insiders. The Queen released a statement on Thursday on the coronavirus outbreak, saying the UK is “entering a period of great concern and uncertainty”. There had been speculation the Her Majesty, 93, would deliver this message in a national televised broadcast.
However, it was delivered as a Buckingham Palace statement, while the Queen departed her London residence to isolate herself and her husband Prince Philip at Windsor Castle.
ABC royal contributor Omid Scobie said he had expected the message to be a TV address and was confused by the sudden change in delivery.
Speaking on The HeirPod, royal commentator Victoria Arbiter explained that there were two reasons behind the absence of a TV address.
She said: “There is a real sense that they need to keep the focus and keep the airwaves clear for the experts, for the doctors, for the Prime Minister.”
JUST IN: Prince Harry urged to return to UK – even if Meghan is LEFT BEHIND
Arbiter continued; “This was a way to get the message out there – it could be printed on newspapers, posted on social media, read out on broadcast. It could reach a huge number of people without taking away airtime.
“It is inevitable that at some stage she will address the nation. I hope it is not because things have gotten considerably worse but that we are coming out the other side.
“But I think, that kind of decision would have been made for purely practical reasons and not wanting to overstretch resources.
“It was also perhaps wanting to limit the number of people around the Queen as well.
In her message, The Queen praised the work of scientists, medics and emergency staff, but added that everyone has a “vitally important part to play”.
The monarch said she and her family “stand ready to play our part”.
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh is remain at Windsor beyond Easter with fewer staff, as a precaution.
Prince Philip, who is “enormously vulnerable” to coronavirus, has doctors on standby, according to leading royal insiders.
Published at Sat, 21 Mar 2020 13:12:00 +0000