Road tax: How to cancel your road tax

Road tax: How to cancel your road tax

Road tax, also known as car tax, is required by law in the UK and is calculated using a number of different measures. However, there some circumstances where you will need to cancel your road tax.

How to cancel your road tax

You can cancel your road tax by informing the DLVA that no longer have the car or if it’s off the road.

You’ll also get a refund for any full months of unused tax.

There are seven circumstances in which road tax can be cancelled.

ALSO SEE: Can you tax a car without insurance?

You must inform the DLVA if your vehicle has been:

  • Sold or transferred to someone else
  • Taken off the road – this is called a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
  • Written off by your insurance provider
  • Scrapped at a scrapyard
  • Stolen (you’ll have to apply for a refund separately)
  • Exported out of the UK
  • Registered as exempt from vehicle tax

The refund is calculated from the date DVLA receives your update.

The cheque is sent to the name and address on the vehicle log book.

However, there won’t be any refunds for credit card fees or surcharge payments.

Published at Sun, 09 Aug 2020 15:16:00 +0000