Royal Family’s ‘astonishing’ request to Meghan Markle and Prince Harry exposed

Royal Family’s ‘astonishing’ request to Meghan Markle and Prince Harry exposed

Meghan and Harry announced their exit from royal life earlier this year, and have been in fraught negotiations with the Palace since then over their exit deal and new life as private citizens. The pair are now in Los Angeles with their son Archie, where they look set to build their new life after spending some time in Canada. Podcast Pod Save the Queen is hosted by Ann Gripper and features the Daily Mirror’s royal editor Russell Myers. 

In the latest episode, the podcast hosts discussed the Sussex’s final bow on the royal stage, which came on March 31, and how the couple have been seen in the public eye since. 

Mr Myers said: “Certainly people I’ve spoken have said that there were huge, huge plans to launch them and their new foundation alongside the social media profiles within weeks of leaving.

“Obviously that has been put on the back burner for now, due to the global situation with COVID-19.”

However, Mr Myers continued: “The family had certainly told them to take a step back and to have some time off. 

“I found that a bit astonishing, really.

“They’d already had time off with their seven-week holiday, and with everything that’s been going on they really haven’t been seen publicly for such a long time.

“But because the situation and emotions had run so high, that’s probably not bad advice, to take a few months off.

“And the coronavirus situation is unfortunately going to last several months. 

READ MORE: Harry and Meghan’s royal exit could financially cripple couple

“It goes back to what the family were telling them, they need to take some time off and really re-evaluate where they are in the world.

“Perhaps it will allow them to realise what it means to have a profile like that.”

However, the Sussexes came under criticism this week after making an announcement about their new brand Archewell in the midst of the worldwide coronavirus crisis. 

It would seem that the Royal Family’s request for the pair to hold off on public announcements for the foreseeable future may have avoided such criticism – however Harry and Meghan said they felt “compelled” to share the information.

The Telegraph’s royal correspondent Hannah Furness revealed on Monday that the newspaper had seen documentation filed in the US that revealed the new non-profit’s name.

Ms Furness wrote: “The couple had not planned to launch details of the ‘non-profit’ just yet, emphasising that they and the world were rightly focusing on the threat posed by coronavirus.

“But after paperwork including the name was filed in the public domain in the US, and seen by this newspaper, they confirmed they will be launching under the name Archewell.”

The Duke and Duchess told the Telegraph: “Like you, our focus is on supporting efforts to tackle the global COVID-19 pandemic but faced with this information coming to light, we felt compelled to share the story of how this came to be.”

*To subscribe to Pod Save The Queen go to Acast or your normal podcast provider.

Published at Thu, 09 Apr 2020 09:13:00 +0000