Royal protection: How Prince Harry guarded Meghan Markle from the spotlight

Royal protection: How Prince Harry guarded Meghan Markle from the spotlight

The prince was pictured on several occasions holding hands with Meghan at royal engagements and events which prevented photographers capturing solo pictures of the former Suits actress.

Speaking to InStyle, Tim Rooke, Shutterstock royal photographer explained how Prince Harry’s affection often challenged photographers in the edit.

Rooke said: “Ms Markle and Prince Harry are very much in love, in fact, it’s hard for me to capture a picture of them each alone because they always either locked in each other’s gazes or joined hands.”

He added: “We like to get fashion shots of what she’s wearing on these occasions, but they are often hard to get because she’s always holding Harry’s hand, making it difficult to get the full fashion shot without cropping out her arm.”

It is believed that the prince heightened security around his wife after the Sussex’s announced Meghan’s pregnancy with their son, Archie Harrison.

Royal expert Katie Nicholl told Vanity Fair in 2018: “[Harry] worries there is too much hysteria around Meghan, and he wants to row back a bit.”

Harry’s distrust in the British press is no secret with several altercations in the past decade, stemming from the belief that paparazzi put his mother, Princess Diana in grave danger moments before her death.

In 1997, after being chased by photographers, Diana died in a car crash when her vehicle slammed into a wall.

Earlier this year, following the couple’s departure from the royal family, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex wrote a letter to large proportions of the press ending any co-operation with them.

Addressing the editors of all the Sun, Mirror, Mail and Express titles and websites, Harry and Meghan told the press the decision had been taken due to “distorted, false or invasive stories”.

READ MORE: Prince Harry finds unexpected ally in LA linked to Princess Diana

The couple’s PR team explained that the ban extends to refusing to answer phone calls asking PR to confirm if claims for a story are true or not.

Ms Markle’s current battle with the press continues after the Duchess began legal action against the Mail on Sunday due to claims the newspaper unlawfully published one of her private letters.

The Prince spoke passionately following their call to sue the Mail on Sunday at the time citing his mother as a reason to take action further.

Harry said: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have watched people they know – as well as complete strangers – have their lives completely pulled apart for no good reason, other than the fact that salacious gossip boosts advertising revenue.”

Law firm Schillings, acting on behalf of the Duchess, suggested the newspaper had run a campaign of false derogatory stories.

Following their step back as senior royals, Harry and Meghan have relocated to California.

Published at Sun, 14 Jun 2020 22:56:00 +0000