The Duke was pictured with his new private secretary, Fiona Mcilwham, as he marked the annual Invictus Games ceremony on Tuesday night. The fifth of its kind, Invictus Games was created by Harry after he visited Colorado and was inspired by something similar in 2013.
Warrior Games began to give wounded and injured ex-military personnel the opportunity to take part in competitive sports.
While Harry was out soaking up the attention, the Duchess of Sussex stayed home to look after baby Archie.
Guess at the ceremony included former competitors and their families, as well as supporters of the games and representatives from the military community.
Harry made a speech after former participants JJ Chalmers from the UK and William Reynolds from the USA shared their recovery journey after the games.
Harry was spotted with his new secretary
Harry founded Invictus Games in 2014
A heart-breaking speech, Harry told the crowd that creating Invictus Games had been “genuinely one of the greatest honours of my life”.
He went on to add that he felt proud to have worked so closely with the inspirational servicemen and women that made Invictus Games work.
Dominic Reid, chief executive of the Invictus Games Foundation described Harry as “the beating heart of Invictus.”
He said: “He’s driven this, he is responsible for this. It’s him that always drags us back to what this is about: the competitors, their recovery and their families.”
The Duke is extremely committed to the games
The official Sussex Royal Instagram page posted a Q&A style video of Harry talking through his conception of the games all the way through to what country he’d like to see the games being hosted next.
The post said: “Today marks the 5 year anniversary of the #InvictusGames!
“These games have made it possible for thousands of wounded and injured servicemen and women to use the power of sport to rehabilitate themselves and those around them, while inspiring people all over the world.”
Directly quoting the Duke, the post read: “Thank you to everyone who has played a part in the Invictus movement, from you the competitors and your families, to the thousands of volunteers and supporters – you have all guarded the Invictus spirit, while creating a wider understanding and respect for those who serve their country at home or abroad.
Harry thanked everyone for their part in the games
Invictus Games has taken place for five years
“Thank you for the inspiration, thank you for the laughs and thank you for the memories!
“I’m so proud of everything we’ve achieved together. Once served always serving!”
Invictus Games was founded by the Duke in 2014 after he saw ex-servicemen and women engaging in competitive sports despite their having to retire from the military due to serious injury.
The games have since been expanded on a global scale, being held in London, Toronto and Sydney – with next year’s games being held in The Hague.
The pair met two years after the games’ start
In the video, Harry shared his initial worries and anxieties surrounding the first Invictus Games.
When asked what the first day of the games was like, he said: “I was nervous about everything – the whole planning, whether it was going to come together, whether people were going to turn up.”
Over 400 competitors from 13 nations have competed in front of thousands of spectators since 2014.
Harry and Meghan made their public debut at the Toronto Invictus Games in 2017 – just before they announced their engagement.
They went public at Invictus’ 2017 games inToronto
Just days after his sons birth in May, Harry visited The Hague to official begin the countdown to the next Invictus Games.
And, on Wednesday, the Duke will attend the 15th annual BGC Charity Day to raise money for the Invictus Games Foundation Charity.
The event will take place in Canary Wharf where Harry will take advice from Brokers on how to acquire the most amount of money as possible for the charity.
Published at Wed, 11 Sep 2019 02:28:00 +0000