Police confirmed a large police presence would remain around the Seven Kings mosque, on High Road, Ilford for the remainder of the night. The horror gun threat is alleged to have happened at the mosque during Ramadan prayers. The Metropolitan Police confirmed a “firearm” weapon had been discharged late on Thursday night but no-one had been hurt.
They later confirmed they believed the firearm to be blank-firing hand-gun.
On Twitter, the Met added: “Officers are at the scene of a firearm discharge on High Road in Seven Kings.
“There are no reported injuries.
“A large police presence will remain in the area overnight.”
People on Twitter claimed the mosque was on lockdown following the alleged shooting.
One wrote: “Somebody just went in there with a gun but got chased out by the people.
“If you know anybody that goes there let them know, please stay safe guys.”
A statement sent to Express.co.uk from the Met confirmed police were called to the scene at 10.45pm.
Reports to the Met suggested a man, believed to be in possession of a firearm, had entered the mosque.
The Met added: “The man was ushered outside of the building by those inside. A gunshot was then heard.
“The Trident and Area Crime Command will be informed.
“There have been no arrests and enquiries continue.”
Ramadan is the month-long religious celebration when Muslims fast from dawn until sunset.
The alleged attack came amid heightened concerns over security at places of worship around the world.
A mass shooting at a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, in March left 50 people dead, while a woman was killed when a gunman opened fire at a synagogue in California in April.
Wes Streeting, MP for Ilford North, took to Twitter to thank the police for their response to the situation.
He said: “I am aware of the reports of a man with a firearm at Seven Kings Mosque during prayers tonight and am relieved that no one appears to have been hurt or injured.
“Thank you to Redbridge Borough Police for a swift response.
“I will in touch with Police in the morning re: mosque security.”
On social media, dozens of people expressed their disgust and horror at the shooting.
One said: “It’s beyond me how someone thinks it is acceptable to enter a place of worship.
“Armed with a weapon that will KILL, and begin to attack the worshipers from behind, unprovoked and innocent.
“Whether that’s Seven Kings mosque, churches in Sri Lanka or any other holy site.”
In a later statement, police said they believe the firearm was a blank firing handgun.
The incident is not being treated as terrorism-related.
They added: “Officers will continue to work closely with representatives from the mosque and are providing reassurance to the local community.
“Anyone with information is asked to contact officers via 101 quoting ref: 8585/09May.”
Published at Fri, 10 May 2019 01:16:00 +0000