State Pension change of address: Do I need to notify HMRC of change of address?

State Pension change of address: Do I need to notify HMRC of change of address?

Your State Pension age depends on when you were born, and the amount you will get depends on how many ‘qualifying’ years of National Insurance contributions you have. This includes payment contributions made when you were working and contributions accredited to you when you are unable to work. How each individual State Pension works depends largely on age and gender.

Do I need to notify HMRC of a change of address?

You can decide to continue working, whether on a paid or voluntary basis, while still claiming your State Pension.

Any money earned will not affect your State Pension, but it may affect your entitlement to other benefits such as Pension Credit, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction.

The Government recently introduced a new State Pension system, which makes it easier for people to navigate.

The Government website states: “The State Pension changed on April 6 2016 for people who reach State Pension age from then onwards.

READ MORE: DWP explain how State Pension payments work (2020-05-06) [VIDEO]

“This is men born on or after April 6 1951 and women born on or after April 6 1953.

“The old rules (which include basic State Pension and Additional State Pension) were complicated, making it difficult to know how much you would get until you were close to State Pension age.

“With the new State Pension, people will know from a much younger age how much they are likely to get, providing a solid base for their savings and retirement planning.”

You will need to contact either HMRC or the Pension Service to notify them of a change in address.

If you decide to contact HMRC, they can update your personal records for:

  • Income Tax and National Insurance
  • Tax credits and benefits, including Child Benefits
  • Services, including the Pension Service

You will receive an email to either confirm your change of details or ask for more information, for example, legal documents for your name change.

You can report changes to your circumstances to HMRC via the Government’s Gateway portal. 

You will need a Government Gateway user ID and password to enter the portal. If you do not have one, you can create one on the site.

It is advised that you wait until you have moved into your new home before notifying authorities of the changes.

Published at Tue, 16 Jun 2020 20:07:00 +0000