On the latest episode of BBC Newsnight host Kirsty Wark caught up with terrified British mum Selina Lund, who is currently quarantined in a Tenerife hotel. During Selena’s video call from her hotel room, viewers learnt of the horrifying conditions British holidaymakers are faced with amid the terrifying outbreak.
The Costa Adeje Palace Hotel was put into lockdown after a visiting Italian doctor tested positive for the virus.
Guests could be kept in quarantine for up to two weeks.
Mum of two Selina Lund was holidaying with her husband and two children when the hotel she was staying at was struck by the virus.
When asked what had been happening at the hotel over the past 24 hours, the host said: “Not a lot really, we’re not told anything.
Selena Lund opened up about the horrifying conditions British holidaymakers are faced with
Mum of two Selina Lund was holidaying with her husband and two children when the hotel she was staying at was struck by the virus
“This lunch time we went to reception because our keys weren’t working because we should have checked out yesterday, and it stopped working so we went there and they told us to go for lunch today down to the dining room.
“So we walked for the first time through the hotel to the dining room but we were horrified so we came back again.”
When asked why she was horrified, the mum of two added: “There was just so many people there.
“We went first at one o’clock when they told us to and there were just hundreds and hundreds of people queuing up to go and get some food, and it was just claustrophobic and I really felt uncomfortable about it especially when we’d only been there that one night on Monday.”
‘there were just hundreds and hundreds of people queuing up to go and get some food, and it was just claustrophobic’
The host then quizzed the British guest about the use of masks, which seems to only be enforced on the security surrounding the hotel, and not the hundreds of guests staying on the premises.
Kirsty said: “I understand some people are not wearing masks in the hotel but others are, is there no guidance on that?”
To which Selina responded: “Exactly that! And that’s what absolutely horrified us, we went down an hour later, when we were queuing most people had masks on, there were some without, but most did.
“When we went into the restaurant an hour later once it had calmed down, we went to go get a plate and the first person we could se was an elderly lady, she’d got a gash on her arm and a mask that was coming off her face and she coughed and I just said to my husband, ‘we need to get out of here, I cannot eat in here.’”
The hotel was put into lockdown after a man, understood to be a doctor was tested for the virus
Selina’s 12-year-old daughter was “so upset” by the incident and was “horrified” to see an elderly lady coughing without a mask on
The mum of two went on to reveal her 12-year-old daughter was “so upset” by the incident and was “horrified” to see an elderly lady coughing without a mask on.
The hotel was put into lockdown after a man, understood to be a doctor, had travelled to the Spanish holiday island from the Lombardy region – the centre of the outbreak in Italy.
He was tested for coronavirus, formally named COVID-19, after falling ill while staying at the Tenerife hotel.
The entire hotel, which is currently hosting approximately 1,000 guests, has been quarantined as a precautionary measure.
How contagious is the coronavirus?
Police are guarding the outside of the hotel and warning of no access without authorisation on the gates.
The hotel has said it has implemented “all the sanitary and operational measures recommended” to “ensure the safety of its customers and employees”.
Through a statement, the hotel chain says it is “working closely” with health authorities.
It says it is giving the clients and hotel staff all the necessary attention and care so that, regardless of the possible inconvenience that this situation may cause them, they are cared for at all times.
The use of masks seems to only be enforced on the security surrounding the hotel
Hundreds of tourists staying at the hotel are now being tested for the deadly virus.
One British guest staying at the hotel told Sky News on Wednesday: “All we have been told is to stay in our rooms.”
Another Briton, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “We’ve not been given any information other than a piece of paper under the door. We can’t get through to reception.”
The hotel have issued a message calling for “calm and tranquility”.
Published at Thu, 27 Feb 2020 00:14:00 +0000