It comes as Brazil has seen a surge in coronavirus cases, becoming the second worst affected country in the world from the virus. The proclamation is intended to curb the spread of infection between the two countries.
Trump’s proclamation reads: “I have determined that it is in the interests of the United States to take action to restrict and suspend the entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the Federative Republic of Brazil during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States.”
White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany added on Sunday: “Today’s action will help ensure foreign nationals who have been in Brazil do not become a source of additional infections in our country.
“These new restrictions do not apply to the flow of commerce between the United States and Brazil.”
Earlier on Sunday, Robert O’Brein, national security advisor, said that Trump was likely to announce the restrictions.
O’Brien, during an interview with CBS’ “Face the Nation,” said White House officials “hope that will be temporary”.
He said the White House would “take a look at the other countries on a country by country basis” in that region.
O’Brein was also asked about European restrictions in mid-March coming too late, and claimed that the US was unaware that China allowed travel to the continent.
He said: “We didn’t know at the time but we later learned that the Chinese continued to allow people to travel from Wuhan to Europe.”
Trump also said on Tuesday he was considering imposing a ban on travel from Brazil.
He told reporters at the White House: “I don’t want people coming over here and infecting our people.
“I don’t want people over there sick either.
“We’re helping Brazil with ventilators.
“Brazil is having some trouble, no question about it.”
The virus spread in Brazil has raised alarm bells about further contagion across Latin America, setting it up to be the next hotbed of disease as it begins to slow in the US and Europe.
Only hours before the announcement Brazil’s foreign minister, Ernesto Araújo, a self-professed fan of Mr Trump, hailed the “optimum Brazil-US cooperation in the fight against COVID-19” after the US president donated 1,000 respirators to the South American nation.
He said there was a “productive partnership between two major democracies.”
The WHO warned that South America has become “a new epicentre” for the pandemic, with the organisation’s emergencies director Mike Ryan saying that the “most affected” country is Brazil.
Despite the rising number of cases President Jair Bolsonaro, has regularly played down the seriousness of the disease.
On Sunday he joined dozens of followers during a rally in Brasília, shrugging off social isolation recommendations.
He has repeatedly said that 70 percent of Brazil’s population would eventually be infected with coronavirus and “there’s no running away from that”.
Brazil has seen 363,618 confirmed cases of COVID-19, and 22,716 deaths.
The US remains the worst affected country in the world from coronavirus, with 1,686,445 cases and 99,300 deaths.
Published at Mon, 25 May 2020 00:56:00 +0000