Tyson Fury promoter casts doubt over Anthony Joshua bout with frank admission

Tyson Fury promoter casts doubt over Anthony Joshua bout with frank admission

Tyson Fury‘s promoter British Frank Warren reckons Anthony Joshua and his team aren’t as keen on heavyweight title unification fight as they’ve made out. The long-awaited Battle of Britain moved a huge step closer to coming to fruition in February when Fury ended Deontay Wilder’s five-year reign as WBC heavyweight champion.

Prior to the COVID-19 outbreak, which has wreaked havoc with the entire global sporting calendar, all that remained for Joshua vs Fury to take place was for the pair to win their respective bouts with Wilder and Kubrat Pulev.

Both fights, however, have been delayed by the global pandemic, with Fury’s trilogy bout with Wilder set to take place in October and Joshua tentatively slated to defend his unified titles against Pulev in London on July 25.

The uncertainty over both fights has prompted Fury’s representatives, MTK Global, to field offers from the Middle East for a lucrative showdown with Joshua.

Prior to the exploratory talks, Joshua made his intention to unify the division known by publicly calling out Fury.

JUST IN: Anthony Joshua breaks silence on Tyson Fury unification fight

“I’ve got a gut feeling they don’t want it and I think that’s for a reason.”

Although Fury’s American-based promoter Bob Arum is handling the exploratory talks, Warren’s belief Team Joshua aren’t keen on the fight is solid.

He added: “It’s a feeling from me. I’ve never had any conversations [with Matchroom] because I don’t deal with them. 

“I know there’s also been conversations with Bob Arum, but I’ve told them all the way through this I don’t think they want it.”

Warren’s scepticism partly stems from his belief Joshua’s team don’t want to risk pitting him against Fury so soon after reclaiming the unified titles.

“I think Tyson’s the best heavyweight on the planet,” Warren said. “There’s no doubt about that, and it’s a big risk for them.”

Joshua broke his silence on the potential unification fight late last week and insisted the bout won’t be the biggest of his career.

During an Instagram Live broadcast, he said: “You know what? There will be even bigger [fights in my career] because I’m not going anywhere.

“I’m here to make history.

“I’m hungry, I’m fired up, Fury’s just another opponent at the end of the day.

“It’s going to be big for everyone else but I’ve got to keep myself together and I look at Fury like he’s just another fighter.”

Published at Mon, 25 May 2020 23:01:00 +0000