Universal Credit UK: Citizens Advice release benefits ‘checklist’ for school costs

Universal Credit UK: Citizens Advice release benefits ‘checklist’ for school costs

Universal Credit can provide additional payments for certain lifestyle costs which can cover housing and childcare costs. Additionally, other state benefits can also provide perks for families who are struggling to keep up with the cost of living.

It should be noted that the following guidance mainly concerns people living in England, with there being differing rules in Wales:

Free school meals

“Children in Reception and Years one or two automatically get free school meals. If you have older children you can apply for free school meals if you get certain benefits:

  • Universal Credit – if you started your claim for Universal Credit before 1 April 2018 or generally earn less than £7,400 a year after tax, not including benefits.
  • Child Tax Credit – but you can’t apply for free meals if your yearly income is £16,190 or more before tax or you’re also entitled to Working Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit run-on – you might get this for four weeks if you’re no longer eligible for Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Guarantee Credit (part of Pension Credit)
  • Asylum Support – if you’ve asked for asylum and you’re waiting for a decision”

Help with activity costs and school uniforms

“If you’re on a low income, your local education authority might help you with some other costs, such as uniforms or musical instrument lessons.

“You’re probably on a low income if you get means-tested benefits such Universal Credit, tax credit or Income Support, Housing Benefit, Employment Support Allowance or JobSeeker’s Allowance.

“If you’re not sure, you can ask staff at your local education authority.

“There may also be local charitable schemes to help with school uniforms, it’s worth checking with the school to see if it knows of any.

“Schools can sometimes also advise on finding secondhand uniforms.”

Disability living allowance

“This is extra money to help with everyday costs if your child is under 16 and disabled or has a health condition. You can get between £23.60 and £151.40 a week, and it isn’t means tested, so how much you earn doesn’t impact how much you can get.”

Carrying on learning after year 11?

“If your child is staying in education after year 11, you must tell HMRC’s Child Benefit Office if you want to continue receiving child benefit and any extra support for children within means-tested benefits.

“When your child turns 16, HMRC will send you a letter asking whether your child will stay in education or training. You must reply to this letter to keep getting Child Benefit.”

Published at Sat, 05 Sep 2020 08:24:35 +0000